Ask An Expert: Informational Calls for Teams, Mentors and Coaches
Each season, FIRST Programs create informational webinars for rookie and veteran teams, mentors and coaches. These are invaluable for those who are new to FIRST and also for those who need to brush up on their skills. Typically, these calls begin in late August and continue through February of the following year, and in the end, cover roughly 25 topics, cross-program.
Here are some sample topics from previous years:
- FLL: Coach 101-The Robot Game-Core Values-Judging
- FTC: Mentor 101-Samantha-Team Strategy
- FRC: Choosing a Competition-Chairman's Award-Robot Transporation List
Please review our call schedule below for the 2014-2015 season. Recordings are posted to our site within 1-2 days after the call.
Judging from a Team Perspective (Skip Gridley)
October 15, 2014 - 7:00 PM ET
Engaging Girls in STEM (Camille Sloan-Schroeder)
October 1, 2014 - 11:00 AM ET
Rookie Coaches (Lee Magpili)
September 10, 2014 - 10:00 AM ET
Importance of the FLL WORLD CLASS Challenge (Dr. Woodie Flowers)
August 27, 2014
Learning through Experimentation/Learning through Play (Søren Thomsen, LEGO Education)
August 6, 2014 - 8:30am ET
See also: FLL Coach Recordings
See also: FTC Ask an Expert Recordings
FRC Scouting Using Tableau
Wednesday, February 24th at 9:00pm (ET)
Please join members of FRC Team 1983 (Skunkworks) and Tableau staff to discuss best practices on FRC scouting, utilizing the Tableau software that was included in the FRC Kit of Parts. The experts will discuss the pros and cons of qualitative and quantitative scouting, and will go over a new technique that will allow teams to take advantage of the strengths in both methods of assessment. They will do a live demonstration of the tools that Tableau offers and provide additional scouting resources for teams.
Chairman’s Award Judging
Please join Chairman’s Judges Carlos del Sol and Susan Skemp, along with Chief Judge Advisor Allen Bancroft, for a discussion on the FRC Chairman’s Award. Topics covered will include the philosophy of the Chairman's Award and providing judge's feedback on the process for earning the Award. Our experts will also discuss the significant changes that were made this year and available resources for putting together your team’s proposal. The presentation will conclude with a question and answer portion.
(Note: although this recording is posted to YouTube, it is an audio clip only)
Points of clarification from Chairman's Award Judging recording:
- Chairman's Video: it's optional to insert the link to your video at the time you submit your application. However, you must provide a copy of the video itself to the judges before your presentation, or you will not be eligible for the award.
- Rookie Chairman's Deadline: Rookie teams that recieve a NASA Grant are required to submit a Chairman's Award application. This application is due on the same day as all Chairman's Award applications.