Assist with assembly on event set-up day, and/or disassembly on event break-down day, of the competition playing field. Volunteers need not do both. These volunteer roles have interesting and varied responsibilities and are physically active roles.
- Assemble playing field and electronics
- Demonstrate and comply with safe procedures for lifting and other physically challenging tasks
- Disassemble playing field and electronics and pack in travel crates
- Assist in loading travel crates onto truck, as needed
Experience and Skills Needed
- FIRST experience not required
- Physical strength; ability to lift heavy objects and push large crates
- Basic mechanical/technical skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to move about the facility
- Ability to listen to and follow instructions
- Commitment: Minimum three days + Training
- Approximate times:
Practice Day (the day before the competition) 8am – End of Day
Day One of the Competition 8am – End of Day
Day Two of the Competition 8am – Completion of breakdown
*Note 1: Event schedules vary. Please check the event schedule and talk to your Volunteer Coordinator, for detailed information on when you are expected to arrive.
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Field Supervisor and the FIRST Technical Advisor provide on-the-job training and direction.
Reporting Relationships and Supervision
Direct supervision: Supervisor and FIRST Technical Advisor
*Please Note: some events will conduct a pre-event evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.