Field Supervisor Description
Position Summary – Key Volunteer Position
Field Supervisor is a Key volunteer position. Supervise field construction and maintenance. This is a critical role in the competition as you direct activity on the field to ensure smooth execution of the matches, maintain the pace of the event and smooth flow of match play. Work in collaboration with the FIRST Technical Advisor.
*FIRST will provide pre-event training for this position.*
- Participate in training opportunities offered by FIRST
- Supervise field construction in collaboration with the FIRST Technical Advisor
- Direct field reset process
- Facilitate adherence to match timing
- Monitor placement of robots on field
- Promote and monitor the safety of volunteers and team members
- Collaborate with Game Announcer, Emcee and Event Manager to monitor and set/adjust game pace
- Conduct volunteer training for and supervise Field Assembly/Disassembly, Field Repair/Reset and Scorekeeper/Field Power Controller volunteers at event
- Sign IN/OUT two-way radio and headset from event management office, return it to office at end of day
- Wear a two-way communication radio and headset to keep apprised of event information and issues
- Exercise decision-making authority in collaboration with the Lead Robot Inspector in cases of dispute
- Direct Alliance selection process with the Master of Ceremonies
- Attend daily breakfast meeting conducted by Event Manager
Experience and Skills Needed
- FIRST experience required; team experience ideal
- Knowledge of the competition game and rules
- Construction experience helpful
- General knowledge of robot construction
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and move about playing field
- Commitment: Minimum four days + Training
- Approximate times:
Set-up Day (two days before competition) 12 noon – End of Day
Practice Day (the day before the competition) 7am – End of Day
Day One of the Competition 7am – End of Day
Day Two of the Competition 7am – End of Day
Note 1: Event schedules vary. Please check the event schedule and talk to your Volunteer Coordinator for detailed information on when you are expected to arrive.
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Provided by FIRST headquarters prior to start of competition season. May include: live and/or recorded web conferences, teleconference(s), manual and other support materials, email communications and one-on-one support. First-year volunteer may serve in an apprentice role, working with a veteran Field Supervisor.
Reporting Relationships and Supervision
Direct supervision: FIRST Technical Advisor provides support and advice during the event
*Please Note: some events will conduct a pre-event evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.