Select team award recipients through interaction with teams, review of documentation regarding team background information to familiarize judges with teams, and serve as role models for the students.
*Judges must sign a Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Statement prior to start of service.
- High profile volunteer position; visible presence
- Recognition of service in Event Program Book
- Community exposure
- Networking opportunities
- Ability to positively impact quality of event
- Opportunity to coach students on career paths
- Official ‘Judge’ shirt provided
- Attend pre-event Judge Training Meeting
- Respond and comply to any email requests from the Judge Advisor
- Interview and observe teams in the Pit, on the playing field and other areas
- Review team background literature
- Participate on Judge Panel to decide team/student awards recipients
- Write short awards scripts extolling merits of winning teams
- Announce team awards recipients; assist with award presentations to teams
- *Attend pre-event general volunteer orientation, if applicable
Experience and Skills Needed
- FIRST experience not required
- Strong assessment skills
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Interpersonal skills; ability to effectively relate to teenagers and adults
- Knowledge of award criteria and selection process
- Ability to move about the facility
- Approximate times:
Practice Day (the day before the competition) 6pm – 8pm
Day One of the Competition 8am – End of Day
Day Two of the Competition 8am – End of Day
Note 1: Event schedules vary. Please check the event schedule and talk to your Volunteer Coordinator, for detailed information on when you are expected to arrive.
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Training is provided by the Judge Advisor prior to the competition. Typically this training takes place the evening of Practice Day. The Judge Advisor will email the Judge Handbook to all Judges 2-4 weeks prior to the competition.
Reporting Relationships and Supervision
- Direct supervision: Judge Advisor
- Support provided by FIRST HQ, if needed
Volunteers are responsible for their own travel and accommodation expenses and arrangements for attending a FIRST event.
*Please Note: some events will conduct a pre-event evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.