Position Summary - Assigned by FIRST Headquarters
Judge Advisors are responsible for leading the Judge panel, facilitating decisions, clarifying award guidelines and ensuring the overall consistency of the awards process in accordance to FIRST standards. Judge Advisors do not vote on awards but rather facilitate that process.
The Regional Planning Committee may nominate the Judge Advisor. To be considered for this position, the individual must have a minimum of two years of prior judging experience (exceptions may be granted by FIRST HQ). Once nominated, the individual must be approved through FIRST; including the Director of the FIRST Robotics Competition and the Chief Judge Advisors. Once approved the candidate will be contacted and assigned by FIRST HQ.
Prior to becoming a Judge Advisor, the candidate must attend a Judge Advisor training session held in January, conducted by the Chief Judge Advisors and FIRST HQ. Veteran Judge Advisors must attend this training session at least once every two years in order to remain qualified to serve as a Judge Advisor (exceptions may be approved through FIRST).
- Opportunity to contribute to the successful execution of the competition; impact the quality of the event
- Community exposure
- High profile role
- Interesting and varied responsibilities
- Networking opportunities
- Opportunity to cultivate support for FIRST programs
- Positioned near the playing field, fast-paced action, ability to observe matches
- Pre-Event Time Commitment
- See Position Summary Above
Experience and Skills Needed
- Minimum of two years as a Judge at the regional and/or championship level (exceptions may be granted by FIRST HQ).
- Understand the FIRST mission
- STEM education or experience preferred but not required
Commitment: Two to three-day commitment; on-site Judge dinner training (if applicable), and Volunteer Orientation Meeting* (if applicable)
Approximate times: Thursday: 8:00 A.M. - 8:00 P.M.
Friday: 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Saturday: 8:00 A.M. - Completion
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Pre-Event Training by FIRST HQ, post-training follow-up call and weekly conference calls throughout the season.
Reporting Relationships and Supervision
Support by FIRST HQ and Chief Judge Advisors
*Please Note: some events will not be conducting a Wednesday evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.