Assists Judge Advisor throughout the event, collaborates with event management staff to ensure the Judges are meeting the competition schedule deadlines, oversees the food and drinks delivered to the Judge room and is responsible for motivating and energizing the Judge panel throughout the competition. The Judge Assistant does not interview teams or participate in the awards recipient selection process.
- Ensure correct room set-up for Judge training; provide any assistance needed by the Judge Advisor
- Ensure correct room set-up for main Judge room; keep room organized and clean throughout event
- Organize and ensure all materials and supplies needed are available, and correctly placed on tables
- Assist Judge Advisor to keep Judge panel on schedule and meeting deadlines
- Provide clerical assistance, such as typing up award scripts on laptop (provided)
- Obtain and wear a two-way radio and headset during the event; work with event management to keep apprised of competition schedule changes; inform Judge Advisor and Judge Panel of schedule changes
- Ensure all Judges sign a Volunteer Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Statement prior to the start of the event
- Ensure all Judges have completed a Consent and Release Form in VIMS (or sign a paper copy at the event)
- Breakdown the Judge Room at the end of the competition, repack FIRST material (if applicable), return Planning Committee materials to Volunteer Coordinator
- Perform other duties as assigned by Judge Advisor
- OPTION 1: Serve as a Chairman’s/Dean’s List Award Interview Room Runner: Ensure applicable teams/students have signed up for an interview time slot; are waiting in line to be interviewed; and retrieve teams/students from the Pits who are absent from the line before their time slot.
Experience and Skills Needed
- Outgoing personality; high energy
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Strong writing skills
- Basic computer skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to move about the facility
- Approximate times (actual times will be communicated by Judge Advisor):
Practice Day (the day before the competition) 6pm-8pm
Day One of the Competition 8am – End of Day
Day Two of the Competition 8am – End of Day
Note 1: Event schedules vary. Please check the event schedule and talk to your Volunteer Coordinator, for detailed information on when you are expected to arrive.
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
The Judge Assistant is provided with a checklist of responsibilities prior to, or at, the event. The Judge Advisor provides guidance during the event. Judge Assistants may also receive some guidance or direction from the Judges and/or the Volunteer Coordinator; but should inform the Judge Advisor of any requests from other Key Volunteers.
Reporting Relationships and Supervision
Direct supervision: Judge Advisor
On-site guidance: Event Manager and/or Volunteer Coordinator
Volunteers are responsible for their own travel and accommodation expenses and arrangements for attending a FIRST event.
*Please Note: some events will conduct a pre-event evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.