Lead Robot Inspector
Position Summary - This is a certified, Key Volunteer Position
Oversee and perform mandatory robot inspection and weigh-in processes to ensure compliance with robot construction rules. Train, supervise, and direct the Robot Inspectors and make final decisions regarding inspection decision disputes. Provide general technical support for teams by helping to resolve issues with their robots.
*Must sign a Volunteer Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Form prior to start of service
- Leadership position, significant level of responsibility
- High visibility role
- Opportunity to utilize and further develop leadership, assessment, and mechanical/electrical skills
- Interesting and varied responsibilities
- Networking opportunities
- Physically active role, not sedentary
- Set up inspection and weigh-in areas
- Perform robot inspections and weigh-ins; ensure process complies with competition schedule
- Complete inspection paperwork
- Lead deliberations with Robot Inspectors regarding inspection decision issues or discrepancies; make final decision (in case of a dispute, collaborate with Field Supervisor)
- Determine need for re-inspections
- Supervise, direct and act as a resource for Robot Inspectors
- Break down inspection and weigh-in areas and pack for transport
- Maintain consistency throughout the inspection process
- Participate in a minimum of two (2) LRI conference calls
- Attend LRI training session at least once every two (2) times it is held at specified training location
Experience and Skills Needed
- Two (2) prior years’ FIRST Robot Inspection experience required (exceptions may be approved by FIRST HQ); prior team robot build experience strongly recommended
- Knowledge of robot inspection and other competition rules
- Mechanical aptitude required
- Ability to follow and enforce electrical wiring diagrams
- Ability to follow and enforce pneumatics diagrams
- Ability to "take charge," be assertive, but tactful
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Self-directed individual
- Ability to move about the facility, and stand for long periods of time
- Strong assessment skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to train new inspectors
- Ability to act with Gracious Professionalism at all times
- Pass background check and VIMS review
- Pass Robot Inspector test
Event Commitment: Minimum Wednesday through Saturday + Training
Wednesday: 6:00 P.M.- 8 P.M. (dependent upon Regional*)
Thursday: 8:00 A.M.- 8 P.M.
Friday: 8:00 A.M.- 5 P.M.
Saturday: 8:00 A.M.- Completion
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Provided by FIRST headquarters prior to start of competition season. May include: live and/or recorded web conferences, teleconference(s), manual and other support materials, email communications and one-on-one-site guidance: Volunteer Coordinator.
Existing Lead Robot Inspectors are expected to attend on-site training sessions held at specified training location at least once every two (2) times it is held in order to remain qualified. Any exception requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by FIRST® HQ. Lead Robot Inspectors will also be required to pass the Robot Inspector test on a yearly basis.
*Please Note: some events will not be conducting a Wednesday evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.