Machine Shop Shuttle Driver
Transport robots between event venue site and off-site Machine Shop. Communicates with the Pit Administration Supervisor or Machine Shop Coordinator regarding transport requests and status of transport location. Must be 18 years or older and be a licensed driver for a minimum of two years.
NOTE: Not all events require this position. Need for shuttle drivers to be determined by location of machine shop in proximity to event.
- Transport robots between event venue site and Machine Shop
- Maintain communication with Pit Administration Supervisor or Machine Shop Coordinator - may be assigned a two-way radio and headset, which must be returned daily to event management (Note: all volunteers must refrain from using any and all cell/smart phones and/or electronic devices while driving)
- Driver is typically stationed in the Pit, and must respond to all transport requests from Pit Administration Supervisor or Machine Shop Coordinator
- Driver must transport robots only (no people)
- If using a vehicle rented by the event to transport robot, the Driver must only travel between the event venue and off-site machine shop location
- Must be 18 years or older
- Licensed driver for a minimum of two years
- Must present following to Youth Protection Staff at safetyFIRST@usfirst.org at least two weeks prior to event:
- Proof of personal insurance ($100,000 for Bodily Injury/Property Damage (BI/PD) and $300,000 Combined Single Limit (CSL)- only if driving personal vehicle
- Valid driver’s license number and contact information (in order to screen driving record to ensure they are a safe driver)
- Must present valid driver’s license to Volunteer Coordinator prior to starting shift
NOTE: It is the responsibility of the team to load and unload the robot on/off the vehicle.
Experience and Skills Needed:
- Ability to move about the facility
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to work and interact with volunteers, team members, contracted and FIRST staff
- FIRST experience not required
- Self-directed individual
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to drive a van
Commitment: Minimum one day + Training
Approximate times: Wednesday: 6:00 P.M.- 8 P.M. (dependent upon Regional*)
Thursday: 8:00 A.M.- 8 P.M.
Friday: 8:00 A.M.- 5 P.M.
Saturday: 8:00 A.M.- Completion
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Pit Administration Supervisor or Machine Shop Coordinator provides training on-site
Reporting Relationships and Supervision
Direct supervision: Pit Administration Supervisor or Machine Shop Coordinator
On-site guidance: Volunteer Coordinator
*Please Note: Some events will not be conducting a Wednesday evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.