Machine Shop Staff
Assist teams with robot repair and modifications. This role requires a significant level of responsibility and provides the opportunity to utilize and further develop coaching skills and mechanical knowledge. This is an active role, not sedentary.
- Promote and instruct teams on tool safety practices depending on insurance and shop regulations
- Maintain safe work environment
Experience And Skills Needed
- Must be 18 years or older
- FIRST experience not required
- Experienced machinist/welder, or significant machine shop experience
- Strong mechanical/technical skills
- Experience using a variety of machine tools (See list at end of position description)
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Self-directed individual
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and move about the facility
- Ability to work as a member of a volunteer team
The list below includes equipment that is typical of most event Machine Shops, which any volunteer assigned to the Machine Shop Staff Role should be qualified to operate. Please note that additional equipment may be present. Machine Shop Staff will not operate any equipment they are not trained or otherwise qualified to operate.
- Vertical Milling Machine
- Engine Lathes
- Acetylene Torches
- Drill Press
- Band Saw
- Disc Sander
- TIG Welder
- Finger brake
- MAPP Gas Torch
- Portable Band Saw
- Saber saw
- Router or Roto-zip
- Circular saw
Commitment: Minimum one day + Training
Approximate times: Wednesday: 6 P.M. - 8 P.M. (dependent upon Regional*)
Thursday: 8 A.M. - 8 P.M.
Friday: 8 A.M. - 5 P.M.
Saturday: 8 A.M. - Completion
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Volunteer Orientation Dinner and Training*
Reporting Relationships And Supervision
On-site oversight: Volunteer Coordinator
*Please Note: Some events will not be conducting a Wednesday evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.