Position Summary - This is a certified position
Referees observe team matches, identify rule violations, and "call" them. They participate in deliberations regarding contested calls. Work under the direction of the Head Referee. Play a critical role in ensuring a positive, fair environment with a smooth flow of match play, and maintaining the pace of the event. This role is a physically active role positioned on the perimeter of the playing field.
*Must sign a Volunteer Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Form prior to start of service
- Contribute to a positive and fair competition environment for all participants
- Monitor/promote safe practices on and around the playing field; wear safety glasses during the matches
- Observe matches, "call" rule infractions; determine penalties
- Participate in deliberations regarding contested calls as needed
- Participate in discussions with Head Referee and other referees to determine official penalty or scoring rulings
- Participate in deliberations with the Head Referee regarding robot-related issues
Experience And Skills Needed
- Ability to "take charge"; be assertive, but tactful
- Thorough knowledge of the competition game and rules of play (must pass certification test)
- Work and interact with volunteers, team members and students, contracted and FIRST staff
- Outgoing personality; high energy
- Strong communication, diplomacy skills
- Ability to collaborate with others, work as a member of a team
- Attention to detail
- Ability to move about the field
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Strong assessment skills
Commitment: Pre-event training and certification, Thursday - Attend Referee training (REQUIRED),
Friday and Saturday
Approximate times: Wednesday: 6 P.M. - 8 P.M. (dependent upon Regional*)
Thursday: 8 A.M. - 6 P.M.
Friday: 8 A.M. - 5 P.M.
Saturday: 8 A.M. - Completion
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Pre-event training provided by FIRST Head Quarters prior to start of competition season. Head Referee conducts training during a teleconference approximately one week in advance of the event and at the Volunteer Orientation and Training on Wednesday* or Thursday evening and provides guidance during the competition.
Reporting Relationships And Supervision
Direct supervision: Head Referee
On-site guidance: Volunteer Coordinator
*Please Note: Some events will not be conducting a Wednesday evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.