Safety Advisors are involved in ongoing safety assessment during the entire event. The Safety program nurtures a positive reinforcement model using safety credits to emphasize safe behavior and coaching to correct unsafe behavior. The goal is to have a safe event and to promote safety as a holistic life skill. Safety Advisors will receive training from the Lead Safety Advisor at the event.
- Monitor overall event safety, observe unsafe actions and coach teams in appropriate safe behavior
- Perform ongoing assessment of team behavior towards safety and determine the winner of the Safety Award
- Manage the safety recognition awards aspect of the program.
- Assist with Awards ceremony
Experience and Skills Needed
- Ability to "take charge"; be assertive
- Ability to link FIRST principles to a safety approach and move teams to compliance
- Ability to move about the facility
- Ability to work and interact with volunteers, team members, contracted and FIRST staff
- FIRST experience not required; general knowledge of FIRST preferred
- High energy, outgoing personality
- Must be ethical and impartial
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills focused on a coaching approach
- Strong organizational skills
- Thorough knowledge of safety principles required, work related safety background preferred
- Work well as a member of a Safety team as well as with student team members
- Commitment: Minimum three days + Training
- Approximate times:
Practice Day (the day before the competition) 8am – End of Day
Day One of the Competition 8am – End of Day
Day Two of the Competition 8am – End of Day
Note 1: Event schedules vary. Please check the event schedule and talk to your Volunteer Coordinator, for detailed information on when you are expected to arrive.
NOTE: Volunteers should arrive on site 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration desk.
Training is onsite
Reporting Relationships and Supervision
Direct supervision: Lead Safety Advisor
*Please Note: some events will conduct a pre-event evening Volunteer Orientation and Training.