Off-Season Event Criteria and Considerations
FIRST is committed to supporting FIRST-approved Off-Season Events. As part of our commitment, FIRST will supply equipment on a first-come, first-served basis.
To secure a field for your Off-Season event, the requesting team/organization must:
- Provide a signed copy of the Off Season Agreement
- Provide proof of adequate insurance coverage
- Agree to promote and represent the FIRST family of programs only. (Exceptions may be made for events with compelling reasons - you must get written permission in advance)
- Schedule field pickup and drop off at least two weeks in advance
- Send an appropriately sized truck and an adequate quantity of restraint devices (see dimensions below)
Shipping costs to/from your event are the responsibility of the requesting team/organization
Borrowed equipment must be returned to FIRST within 5 calendar days of the conclusion of your event UNLESS you make arrangements in advance with FIRST
Any damage to the cases, carts, playing field components or electronics will be charged to the hosting team/organization
- FIRST will not supply Game Pieces to any Off-Season Event, they can be purchased through AndyMark, Inc.
In order to use field electronics, a FIRST certified FTA must be present
FIRST will not provide technical support to Off-Season Events
- FIRST requests the return of all electronics on loan for Off-Season events on or before Friday, November 13, 2015. In addition, FIRST Headquarters will not lend out any equipment after this date.
- Off Season Agreement
- If non-FIRST robotics programs will be displayed, promoted or utilized, you must get written permission from FIRST prior to your event.
2015 Field Manual Chapters
- 2015 Off-Season Field Manual including Event Shipment instructions for loading and unloading the truck; Truck Layout- with and without electronics; Game Specific Cases - how to pack the 2015 game pieces; and Building The Field
- FMS Lite Manual and Download
Electrical Requirements for Field
To effectively run the field, we recommend that there are two 120VAC/12A circuits available at the scoring table. One is for the playing field itself (field ends, lights, referee touchscreens, etc.). The other ciruit is for the scoring table (Scorpion Case, projector for scores, laptops, tablet/phone chargers, etc.). Although the field can be run with one circuit, it doesn't leave much room for handling additional laptops and other items that tend to make their way to the scoring table at events.
Proof of insurance must provided to FIRST before the playing field will be released.
- An insurance certificate insuring the 'property of others' that names FIRST as an 'additional insured' is required
- The insurance certificate must cover the following:
- Property Damage: insuring loaned equipment against loss or damage ($45,000 for field, $173,500 for field and electronics)
- Liability: insuring against bodily injury and property damage arising from us of loaned equipment (not less than $1,000,000)
- The insurance certificate must identify the event name, location and dates
- If transporting the field without using a FIRST common carrier, insurance should include the transportation dates as proof of coverage
Scheduling Field Pickup and Drop off
You must schedule field pickup with FIRST in advance providing day and time of truck arrival.
Loading dock hours:
- Monday-Thursday: 8:30am - 4:00pm
- Friday: 8:30am-Noon
If these hours do not meet your needs, please contact FIRST to arrange a time.
- Minimum width: 96" wide INSIDE (i.e.; a typical 24’ Ryder truck)
- Minimum length: 24 feet
- Truck bed height: 48" (loading dock height)
- You must follow the 2015 Truck Layout (coming soon)
- The truck may not have wheel well cavities that project into the interior of the truck
- The truck must have places into which you can clip / fasten load straps and load bars
- Stacking of field components might be required to fit all of the field equipment into this size truck
- Straps and load bars are the responsibility of the borrower (we require a minimum of three 2-inch heavy duty load straps or three load bars)
If you choose to contract with a common carrier for transportation FIRST will provide specifications on the quantity, size and weight of containers. You should take advantage of the carrier’s insurance and declare the value with the carrier so that, in the event of damage, you can file a claim with the carrier.
Non-common carrier (This method requires the permission of FIRST)
If FIRST has allowed you to provide your own truck rather than a common carrier, you must obtain the appropriate insurance rider based on the value (see above) on what you are borrowing. This insurance is to cover the field while it is being transported to your event.
* Please Note: Carpet is NOT included in the loan of a Field.
Carpet may be purchased from S&S Mills in Dalton, Georgia
S&S Mills: 1-800-241-4013
The carpet used for each half of the Field matches the color of the respective Player Stations (Shaw Floors, Philadelphia Commercial, Neyland II 20, 50510, "Polar Express" and "Capital Red")
Carpet Size: 27 ft. by 54 ft.
If you are unable to purchase a new carpet, arrangements may be made in advance to recover the carpet from a Regional Event. Reservation of the carpet at Regional Events must be made with the Regional Director for that event. Off Season events are encouraged to share carpet.
- Chalk Line
- Hex Keys
- Plexiglas Cleaner => Please use an approved Plexiglas cleaner and special paper towels or 100% cotton rags. DO NOT use Windex, 409, Cinch, etc... as these products damage Plexiglas
- Rubber Mallet
- Sharpie Markers
- Phillips Screwdrivers (#1, #2 and #3)
- Standard Flathead Screwdriver
- Loop Pile Cutters
- Tape Measure (30’ & 100’)
- Fire Extinguisher
- Utility Knife
- Wire Stripper
- Assorted Hardware
- Extension Cords (50’ & 100’)
- Carpet Vacuum
- Nippers and Diagonals
- Gaff Tape (in various colors)
- 100pk of 14 ½" cable/zip ties 120 lb tensile strength
FIRST will not provide any of the following:
- A/V or Equipment or Lighting for Venue
- Banners, Trophies, or Medallions
- Carpeting for the Field
- Cable Ties
- Event Signs
- FIRST Staff Support
- Game Pieces (these can be purchased through AndyMark, Inc.)
- Ladders (we recommend a 8' ladder)
- Paper Towels
- Plexiglas Cleaner
- Program Books
- Sizing Box and Scale (for robot inspection)
- Spare Parts
- Safety Glasses
- Technical Support
- T-shirts or Badges (for volunteers)