Off-Season Event Criteria and Considerations
FIRST is committed to supporting FIRST-approved Off-Season Events. As part of our commitment, FIRST will supply equipment on a first-come, first-served basis when scheduled through Hannah Foust and approved by Frank Merrick, Acting Director of FRC. Please contact Hannah Foust directly with any questions.
To secure a field for your Off-Season event, the requesting team/organization must:
- Provide a signed copy of the 2013 Off Season Agreement
- Provide proof of adequate insurance coverage
- Agree to promote and represent the FIRST family of programs only. (Exceptions may be made for events with compelling reasons - you must get written permission in advance)
- Schedule field pickup and drop off at least two weeks in advance
- Send an appropriately sized truck and an adequate quantity of restraint devices (see dimensions below)
Shipping costs to/from your event are the responsibility of the requesting team/organization
Borrowed equipment must be returned to FIRST within 5 calendar days of the conclusion of your event UNLESS you make arrangements in advance with FIRST
Any damage to the cases, carts, playing field components or electronics will be charged to the hosting team/organization
- FIRST will not supply Frisbees to any Off-Season Event, they can be purchased through AndyMark, Inc.
In order to use field electronics, a certified FRC FTA must be present
FIRST will not provide technical support to Off-Season Events
- FIRST requests the return of all electronics on loan for Off-Season events on or before Friday, November 15, 2013. In addition, FIRST Headquarters will not lend out fields or electronic equipment after this date.
- 2013 Off Season Agreement
- If non-FIRST robotics programs will be displayed, promoted or utilized, you must get written permission from FIRST prior to your event.
2013 Field Manual Chapters
- Event Shipment- instructions for loading and unloading the truck
- Game Specific Cases- how to pack the 2013 game pieces
- 2013 Truck Layout- with and without electronics
- Building The Field
- FMS Light Manual and Download
Electrical Requirements for Field
To effectively run the field, we recommend that there are two 120VAC/12A circuits available at the scoring table. One is for the playing field itself (field ends, lights, referee touchscreens, etc.). The other ciruit is for the scoring table (Scorpion Case, projector for scores, laptops, tablet/phone chargers, etc.). Although the field can be run with one circuit, it doesn't leave much room for handling additional laptops and other items that tend to make their way to the scoring table at events.
Proof of insurance must provided to FIRST at least two weeks prior to the event before the playing field will be released.
- An insurance certificate insuring the 'property of others' that names FIRST or US FIRST as an 'additional insured' must insure the playing field and all of its components, including the travel cases, from the time they leave FIRST Manchester, NH or Vestmoore, Merrimack, NH until the time they are returned to FIRST. This, or similar language, is required on the insurance certificate.
- The insurance certificate must be for at least $47,500 for the basic field. If special arrangements are made to borrow the electronics along with the basic field, the insurance certificate must be for at least $128,500. Should the complete field and electronics be lent, the insurance certificate must be for at least $173,500.
- The insurance certificate must identify the event name, location and dates and should include the transportation dates as proof of coverage.
Scheduling Field Pickup and Drop off
You must schedule field pickup with FIRST in advance providing day and time of truck arrival.
Loading dock hours:
- Monday-Thursday: 8:30am - 4:00pm
- Friday: 8:30am-Noon
If these hours do not meet your needs, please contact FIRST to arrange a time.
- Minimum width: 96" wide INSIDE (i.e.; a typical 24’ Ryder truck)
- Minimum length: 24 feet
- Truck bed height: 48" (loading dock height)
- You must follow the 2013 Truck Layout Diagram (with and without electronics)
- The truck may not have wheel well cavities that project into the interior of the truck
- The truck must have places into which you can clip / fasten load straps and load bars
- Stacking of field components might be required to fit all of the field equipment into this size truck
- Straps and load bars are the responsibility of the borrower
Minimum strapping: 3 2-inch heavy duty load straps or 3 load bars
If you choose to contract with a common carrier for transportation FIRST will provide specifications on the quantity, size and weight of containers. You should take advantage of the carrier’s insurance and declare the value with the carrier so that, in the event of damage, you can file a claim with the carrier.
Non-common carrier (This method requires the permission of FIRST)
If FIRST has allowed you to provide your own truck rather than a common carrier, you must obtain the appropriate insurance rider based on the value (see above) on what you are borrowing. This insurance is to cover the field while it is being transported to your event.
* Please Note: Carpet is NOT included in the loan of a Field.
Carpet may be purchased from S&S Mills in Dalton, Georgia
Ask for Sequoia 20oz (Description: Level Loop Pile, Color: Ground Pepper)
2013 Recommended Carpet Size: 2 rolls, 74'x15'
If you are unable to purchase a new carpet, arrangements may be made in advance to recover the carpet from a Regional Event. Reservation of the carpet at Regional Events must be made with the Regional Director for that event. Off Season events are encouraged to share carpet.
- Chalk line
- Hex keys
- Plexiglas cleaner => Please use an approved Plexiglas cleaner and special paper towels or 100% cotton rags. DO NOT use Windex, 409, Cinch, etc... as these products damage Plexiglas
- Rubber mallet
- Sharpie markers
- Phillips screw drivers (#1, #2 and #3)
- Loop pile cutters
- Tape measure, 30’ & 100’
- Fire extinguisher
- Utility knife
- Wire stripper
- Assorted hardware
- 2- extension cords 50’ & 100’
- 100pk of 14 ½" cable ties 120 lb tensile strength ("Catamount" L14-120-9-6)
- Standard flathead screw driver
- Nippers and diagonals
- FTA hardware box (look in manual)
- Gaffers & Athletic tape
- Carpet vacuum
FIRST will not provide any of the following:
- A/V equipment
- Carpeting for the field
- Cable ties
- Event signs or lights
- FIRST staff
- Frisbees (these can be purchased through AndyMark, Inc.)
- Ladders (we recommend a 10' ladder for the 2013 game)
- Paper towels
- Plexiglas cleaner
- Program books
- Sizing box and scale
- Spare parts
- Safety glasses
- Technical support
- Trophies or medallions