W-9, Regranting Policy and Procedure
Submittal of IRS Form W-9 by all U.S. Based Teams
Every U.S. based team receiving funding from a Donor (Grantor) must submit an IRS Form W-9 to FIRST Finance. Click here for an IRS W-9 Form
The IRS Form W-9 must:
- Have been dated within five years
- Contain the Federal Tax Identification number (FEIN) of the organization willing to accept any funds on behalf of the team
- Be signed and dated by an authorized representative of the organization
- This is not a State Tax Exempt number.
- FIRST cannot accept any IRS Form W-9 from an individual. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- It is the responsibility of the team to inform FIRST of any changes to their IRS Form W-9.
FIRST receives grants from various Donors (Grantors) which are designated to FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) participating teams. These are restricted donations with designations as defined and imposed on FIRST by the Grantor(s). Should FIRST receive a grant designated to your FRC Team, FIRST will “re-grant” the funds to your FRC Teams as a “pass through” grant with no deductions for overhead or processing costs. 100% of the designated funds will be re-granted provided that the Team (Grantee) follows the guidelines listed below.
The following guidelines are followed when processing a regrant for a team:
- The regrant must be a minimum of $1,000 for FRC; $500 for Jr.FLL/FLL/FTC.
- FIRST receives the Grantor’s donation and designation in writing. FIRST applies the amount needed to satisfy the open payment of the team’s registration fee before any regrant can be issued.
- Any additional funds, above the team’s registration fee (some restrictions may apply) can be regranted to the team.
- The Grantee (FRC Team) initiates the process of receiving these pass through funds and maintains audit compliance*.
Funds can only be re-granted to your team for costs directly associated with the FIRST Robotics Competition. FIRST cannot disburse funds directly to the Team’s or School’s vendors/providers due to the IRS Form W-9 needs and the potential volume.
*Should the Grantor request a follow-up report on the exact use of the re-granted funds, it is the responsibility of the Grantee (School) to maintain adequate records in order to provide an accurate accounting.
Click here to access the online regrant application.