Ask an Expert Conference Calls
"Ask an Expert" Calls are webinars or teleconferences featuring FTC subject matter experts and are designed to provide training on a variety of topics.
Once a call is complete, the recording or webinar is posted to this page for download.
2013-2014 Ask an Expert online trainings
The FIRST Scholarship Program and the College Admissions process
Date: December 19, 2013 7 P.M. ET
Experts: Michelle Long, FIRST Scholarship Program Manager and Kate Caulfield, Assistant Director of Admissions at Olin College of Engineering
Overview: Is your high school graduation right around the corner? Then join us as we talk about the FIRST Scholarship Program, the admissions process and best practices for how to make your application stand out!
Register to attend: FIRST Tech Challenge Google+ Hangout
Women in STEM
Date: January 16, 2014 7 P.M. ET
Overview: Join us as we talk to leaders in the STEM field about the need for young women to pursue STEM careers and how to encourage them to do so.
Register to attend: TBD
Past 2013-2014 "Calls":
Experts: Mike Meholensky, Senior Electrical Engineer at Rockwell Collins; Charlie Blair, Project Lead the Way Engineering Teacher
Overview: Join real-world engineers Mike Meholensky, of Rockwell Collins, and Charlie Blair, a PLTW engineering instructor, to learn about what it means to pursue a career in engineering.
Experts: FRC Team Exploding Bacon; FTC Team Tesla; Renee Becker, FIRST VISTA
Overview: Join experienced members of the FIRST community as they discuss strategies for sustaining a team through fundraising, gaining (and keeping) sponsors and hear about a new fundraising training kit to be released this Fall.
Expert: Tim Friez, ROBOTC Senior Software Engineer
Overview: Tim Friez, ROBOTC Senior Software Engineer, goes over the basics of ROBOTC programming for FTC.
Expert: Hunter Smith, National Instrument's K-12 Engineering Specialist
Overview: Join Hunter Smith, National Instrument's K-12 Engineering Specialist, as he goes over the basics of LVLM 2012 for FTC. This is a great opportunity to get an overview of the environment, learn from an expert and ask questions.
Expert: Jill Wilker, FTC Affiliate Partner, Northern California
Overview: Join Jill Wilker, the Northern California FTC Affiliate Partner, as she talks through important aspects of leading your FTC Team. This webinar is a great opportunity to learn more about the program and ask questions about mentoring your team.
2012-2013 "Ask an Expert" Calls:
- FTC Mentor 101 - How to register a Team, season timeline, recruiting mentors and organizing a Team
- Teams in Transition from FTC to FRC - FTC affiliate partner Joe Passofaro and Senior Mentor Javier Saenz discuss the finer points of moving from FTC to FRC (Mp3) - (Power Point Slides)
- FTC Build Strategy (Mp3) - Why does my team need a strategy before we build?
- FTC/FRC Scholarships (Mp3) - Prepare yourself for your next move. Arm yourself with information on FIRST scholarship opportunities. - Outline
- Cross-program Community Outreach (Mp3) - learn how to build a successful community outreach program for your FTC Team.
- How to Impress the Judges (Mp3) - Judging is a critical aspect of the FIRST programs. DId you know that half the teams going to the world championships are doing so because of their judging performance? Come hear about how judging works, what the judges are looking for, and some tips on how your team can better tell your story to the FTC judges. This session is for students and mentors (Mp3). - Power Point Slides
- Samantha Module Basics - Are you wondering what the Samantha Module is all about or how it works? This call will go over the basics of what the Samantha Module is, what it does, how it works and how to hook it up to your robot. - Samantha - 3 Things to Know (Power Point) - Samantha Module and Field Control System (Power Point)
- Software Basics (Mp3) - This training covers the basics of making sure the programming on your FTC Robot is ready for competition and inspection. - Power Point
- Team Strategy at Event (Mp3) - Success at FTC events requires strategy, and not just inside the competition field. Call in to learn some of the complexities of FTC event strategy. - Agenda
- Transitioning from FLL to FTC (PDF) - what changes, what's different, what are some new challenges?
2011-2012 "Ask an Expert" Calls:
- FTC Mentor 101: How to register a Team, season timeline, recruiting mentors, and organizing a Team (MP3)
- Teams in Transition: FLL to FTC (MP3) (Agenda)
- Teams in Transition: FTC to FRC (MP3)
- Build Strategy: What to consider as you build your robot (MP3) (Agenda)
- Software Basics: What to expect at an event, focusing on inspection and field control (PowerPoint)
- Samantha: Field Control Updates(MP3) (Presentation)
- FTC Judging: What to Expect (October)(Webinar) (PowerPoint Presentation)
- FIRST Scholarship Program (MP3)
- Team Strategy at Events (MP3)
- FTC Judging: What to Expect (December) (Webinar) (If the file does not play, install this codec)