Ask an Expert Training
"Ask an Expert" Calls are webinars or teleconferences featuring FTC subject matter experts and are designed to provide training on a variety of topics.
Once a call is complete, the recording or webinar is posted to this page for download.
2015 - 2016 Online Training Schedule
Be sure to check back regularly as more information will be added, including links, as the schedule and presenters are confirmed.
|FTC New Technology Demonstration||June 2015||Thomas Eng, FTC Engineer, discusses the new FTC Android-based technology.|
|Gear Up with FTC in the Classroom Virtual Summer Conference||July 15, 2015||The Gear Up with FTC conference is focused on the theme of FTC in the Classroom, and while the content will be focused on classroom content and for educators, there will be useful information for the entire FTC community as well. View session descriptions and access links to the presentations on the Gear Up with FTC! webpage.|
|FTC PushBot Overview||October 2015||Meet the developers of the PushBot Build Guide, Team #2843 Under the Son from Maryland! In this video they will talk about how they designed the robot and what it can do.|
|New Components Overview - Dive Into the New Parts||September 2015||Learn about the new FTC technology, phones, sensors, motor controllers, and more!|
|Transitioning from FLL to FTC||October 2015||FLL and FTC will collaborate on a TweetChat about transitioning from FLL to FTC and more at #FIRSTQA!|
|Using the Question Box||September 2015||Mark Edelman, Northern California Affiliate Partner, Game Design Committee member, and World Championship Head Referee discusses the Question Box and how best to utilize it in this training video for teams.|
|New Technology Series 2: App Inventer Overview||October 2015||Take a walk-through of App Inventor with an FTC Team.|
|Java Programming||November 2015||Take part in a live discussion and demonstration on Java Programming for FTC teams. Be sure to bring all your questions!|
|Preparing for Competition for Rookies||November 2015||New FTC teams will get a chance to learn about what to expect at competition and how to prepare from experienced FTC teams. This live training will inlclude a Q&A session, so bring all your questions!|
|FTC Judging||November 2015||All FTC teams will benefit from the experience of veteran team and 2015 World Championship Inspre Award Winners Team #3595 Schrodinger's Hat from Fairbanks, AL as they discuss how FTC Judging works and tips and tricks to be prepared and put your best foot forward for the Judges.|
|New Technology Series 3: Mounting, Prep, and Assembly||November 2015||Where do you put the phone? What's the best practice for mounting sensors? How do you best protect your robot during competition? Authors of the FTC Robot Wiring Guide and 2015 World Championship Inspre Award Winners Team #3595 Schrodinger's Hat spend time talking with teams about how to assemble the robot and wiring for optimal performance.|
|New Technology Series 4: Your Technology in Competition||November 2015||Learn all about the new FTC Android-based technology and how competitions will work this year, including preparing for the event, what to expect on site, inspection, and support at the event.|
|PTC Creo: The Basics||Decmeber 2015||Get an introduction to your free PTC Creo software with this live training, including basic tools and tips from the experts at PTC.|
|Mentor Teacher Idea Swap||December 2015||More info to come.|
Past 2014-2015 Trainings:
- FTC Robots and ESD: Due to a number of factors, FTC robots may experience negative effects of static build-up. Dan Edwards, FTA and Colleen Johnson, Team 3595 Schrodinger's Hat, will go over information on testing done by Dale Jordan, Oregon FTC Volunteer, and the tips, tricks, and techniques recommended to teams in the recently released FTC Guide to Avoiding NXT Lockups and FTC Robot Wiring Guide (of which Colleen is one of the authors). FTC Robots and ESD Presentation PPT (without notes) - PDF or FTC Robots and ESD Presentation PPT (with notes) - PDF
- LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS for FTC: Join Hunter Smith, National Instrument's K-12 Engineering Specialist, as he goes over the basics of LVLM 2012 for FTC. This is a great opportunity to get an overview of the environment, learn from an expert and ask questions.
- ROBOTC for FTC: Tim Friez, ROBOTC Senior Software Engineer, goes over the basics of ROBOTC programming for FTC. This is a great opportunity to get an overview of the environment, learn from an expert and ask questions.
- 3D Printing for FIRST Teams: 3D printing is an exciting new technology that many teams are taking advantage of when designing and building their robots. Our experts will cover tips and techniques for teams in designing, printing on an EKOCYCLE Cube 3D Printer, using 3D printed parts, as well as the resources available. FRC Team #3824, the RoHawktics, and Scott Turner from 3DSystems discuss and asnswer team questions.
- FIRST Scholarships and the Steps Toward Success: Michelle Long, FIRST Alumni Programs Manager and Sofia Dhanani a Dr. Bart Kamen Memorial Scholarship winner and Cognitive Science major at the University of California Berkeley discuss all the details of the FIRST Scholarship program and the benefits.
2013-2014 "Ask an Expert" Calls:
- Marketing and business Strategies for Successful FTC Teams - Team 3550, Beta from Iowa, and Team 3141, The Bears from Mexico, talk about how they've successfully used business plans, marketing and branding to build a better team.
- Engaging Girls in STEM Education with FIRST - Experts Navrina Singh, Qualcomm R&D; Trish Tierney, Institute of International Education; Jackie Meissner, Mentor, FRC Team 16 and STEM educator talk about the need for young women to pursue STEM careers and how to encourage them to do so.
- The FIRST Scholarship Program and the College Admissions process - Michelle Long, FIRST Scholarship Program Manager and Kate Caulfield, Assistant Director of Admissions at Olin College of Engineering talk about the FIRST Scholarship Program, the admissions process and best practices for how to make your application stand out.
- Engineering for FIRST Teams - Join real-world engineers Mike Meholensky, of Rockwell Collins, and Charlie Blair, a PLTW engineering instructor, to learn about what it means to pursue a career in engineering.
- Fundraising for FIRST Teams - Join members of the FIRST community, FRC Team Exploding Bacon; FTC Team Tesla; and Renee Becker, FIRST VISTA, as they discuss strategies for sustaining a team through fundraising, gaining (and keeping) sponsors and hear about a new fundraising training kit to be released this Fall.
- ROBOTC for FTC - Tim Friez, ROBOTC Senior Software Engineer, goes over the basics of ROBOTC programming for FTC.
- LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS for FTC - Join Hunter Smith, National Instrument's K-12 Engineering Specialist, as he goes over the basics of LVLM 2012 for FTC.
- FTC Mentoring 101 - Join Jill Wilker, the Northern California FTC Affiliate Partner, as she talks through important aspects of leading your FTC Team.
2012-2013 "Ask an Expert" Calls:
- FTC Mentor 101 - How to register a Team, season timeline, recruiting mentors and organizing a Team
- Teams in Transition from FTC to FRC - FTC affiliate partner Joe Passofaro and Senior Mentor Javier Saenz discuss the finer points of moving from FTC to FRC (Mp3) - (Power Point Slides)
- FTC Build Strategy (Mp3) - Why does my team need a strategy before we build?
- FTC/FRC Scholarships (Mp3) - Prepare yourself for your next move. Arm yourself with information on FIRST scholarship opportunities. - Outline
- Cross-program Community Outreach (Mp3) - learn how to build a successful community outreach program for your FTC Team.
- How to Impress the Judges (Mp3) - Judging is a critical aspect of the FIRST programs. DId you know that half the teams going to the world championships are doing so because of their judging performance? Come hear about how judging works, what the judges are looking for, and some tips on how your team can better tell your story to the FTC judges. This session is for students and mentors (Mp3). - Power Point Slides
- Samantha Module Basics - Are you wondering what the Samantha Module is all about or how it works? This call will go over the basics of what the Samantha Module is, what it does, how it works and how to hook it up to your robot. - Samantha - 3 Things to Know (Power Point) - Samantha Module and Field Control System (Power Point)
- Software Basics (Mp3) - This training covers the basics of making sure the programming on your FTC Robot is ready for competition and inspection. - Power Point
- Team Strategy at Event (Mp3) - Success at FTC events requires strategy, and not just inside the competition field. Call in to learn some of the complexities of FTC event strategy. - Agenda
- Transitioning from FLL to FTC (PDF) - what changes, what's different, what are some new challenges?